Fans of the original webtoon are unhappy with this casting news.
It was reported on April 12 that Ahn Bo Hyun has been selected to play the male lead Moon Seo Ha in “See You In My 19th Life”, an upcoming webtoon-to-drama adaptation. He has yet to accept the offer but is positively considering it. If he joins the cast of “See You In My 19th Life”, this will be Ahn Bo Hyun’s third webtoon-based drama after “Itaewon Class” and “Yumi’s Cells”. Although Ahn Bo Hyun is well-loved for his handsome appearance and good acting, netizens who have read and enjoyed the webtoon are against him being cast in the drama version of “See You In My 19th Life.”
The famous Naver webtoon “See You In My 19th Life” follows Ju Won, a woman who is in her 18th life and has a power to remember everything that happened in her past lives. She grows up with her childhood friend and the man she loves, Moon Seo Ha. When Ju Won tragically dies, Seo Ha is forced to move on with his life despite being traumatized. When her 18th life ends, Ju Won vows to not forget about Seo Ha and is determined to find him in her next life. In her 19th life, Ju Won reincarnates as Ban Ji Eum. She tracks down Seo Ha to reconnect with him.
In the webtoon, Moon Seo Ha is pale and soft. He is supposed to have a weak and vulnerable beauty. He comes off as a bit rude at first but is sweet and sensitive on the inside. This explains why fans of the webtoon don’t think Ahn Bo Hyun, who is known for his muscular, bulky body with a mature, manly aura, is a good fit for the character of Moon Seo Ha.
Netizens left comments complaining about the casting news:
- Please pay attention to the casting. Are you just casting him because he is famous?
- What is the casting director even thinking? How could they choose an actor with a totally opposite image from his webtoon counterpart?
- Moon Seo Ha is supposed to be sensitive and weak, though? Why don’t they select an actor who is paler and slimmer? Ahn Bo Hyun is too muscular.
- Who came up with this casting? This is the first time I’m genuinely surprised at a casting decision.
- He looks nothing like Moon Seo Ha
- His visuals give off strong and masculine vibes, which are contrasting the webtoon character. There’s no way he can play the emotional scenes and exude Seo Ha’s frailty.
Previously when “See You In My 19th Life” was confirmed to get a drama adaptation, netizens recommended some male idols and actors with “puppy-like” visuals for the role of Moon Seo Ha such as BTOB’s Sungjae, NCT’s Jaehyun, Yang Se Jong, and Seo Kang Joon.
Besides, Shin Hye Sun was offered the female lead role of Ban Ji Eum, who is described as a smart and witty woman with a childlike innocence, so Shin Hye Sun is said to be perfectly suitable for the part.