TWICE bagged their 4th Best Female Group win at MAMA 2021.
Yesterday (December 11), the 2021 Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA 2021) officially took place at CJ ENM Contents Studio, Paju, Korea. This year’s MAMA was hosted for the first time by a female host, Lee Hyori, with the attendance of popular Kpop artists including NCT, aespa, Stray Kids, ITZY, TXT, ENHYPEN, ATEEZ, Wanna One…
Tiffany and Sooyoung, the duo from Girls’ Generation were selected to present Best Female Group to TWICE – the junior group that is often compared to Girls’ Generation when it comes to the title of “nation’s girl group”.
TWICE surpassed other strong nominees including Red Velvet, ITZY, Brave Girls, Oh My Girl, (G)I-DLE to win Best Female Group for the 4th time in a row. This achievement helps TWICE set a record as the girl group with the most Best Female Group wins in MAMA history. However, some netizens question if TWICE deserved this title because they did not release a smash hit this year when compared to other groups’ famous songs like Brave Girl (Rollin’), Oh My Girl (Dun Dun Dance) or Red Velvet (Queendom).
In response to the negative comments, TWICE fans brought out sales and view records to prove TWICE is worthy. Although “Alcohol-Free”, “The Feels”, “Scientist” are not considered massive hits, TWICE still earned good and stable results with all their releases this year.
- SNSD gave the award to TWICE, ladies, that’s fate.
- Many people rely on Scientist’s digital music achievements and say they’re not worth it. Alcohol-Free digital music is still in the top 10 Melon. MAMA awards aren’t based not only on digital score, it has clear criteria.
- I haven’t watched the MVs of Alcohol-Free with The Feels but still know the lyrics of these two songs. As a non-fan, I think TWICE deserves this award.
- MAMA does include international achievements. This year’s international achievement of TWICE is at the top, nothing more. There is a slightly low digital score , but in return for the album sales and international reputation, they are worthy enough to take the award.
- It’s really well deserved because in the past 1 year, TWICE has had admirable achievements in their career.
Besides the controversy about TWICE‘s award in the category of Best Girl Group, another category that also got huge attention was Best Female Artist. The explosive debut of Rosé and Lisa – 2 representatives of BLACKPINK is expected to make a miracle and win this category. But the owner of the award called IU‘s name.
In return, the BLACKPINK’s members each got their first MAMA award in their solo careers in other categories. Lisa received the Worldwide Fans’ Choice Top 10 award. Meanwhile, Rosé, thanks to On The Ground, received the award of Best Solo Dance Performance.