Recently, media site NME reported that according to JYP Entertainment’s 2023 investment plan, TWICE will be introducing their first Japanese subunit, followed by a world tour. Accordingly, the subunit, expected to be composed of 3 Japanese members Sana, Mina, and Momo, is rousing high anticipations from fans and the public alike.
However, since Sana, Momo, and Mina are all prominent dancers in the group with excellent choreography skills, many netizens raised the question of who will be in charge of vocals. Generally, in sub-unit of girl groups such as WJSN Chocome, SNSD TaeTiSeo, or After School’s Orange Caramel, there is always a strong vocalist – which is not the case for TWICE’s J-Line Mi-Sa-Mo (Mina – Sana – Momo).
Many people are also comparing Mi-Sa-Mo to TaeTiSeo (Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun), who earned great success with “Twinkle Twinkle”, and is also a 3-member subunit from a 9-member girl group.
On the other hand, many claimed that JYP is introducing this subunit in order to further enhance TWICE’s promotions in Japan. As TWICE enjoys huge recognition in Japan and has a massive Japanese fandom, this subunit is considered a wise move. In addition, these netizens stated that TWICE’s Japanese subunit can promote with a dance-focused song without heavy vocal techniques or extravagant high notes, which the Japanese member can excel in.
Nevertheless, with TWICE constantly embroiled in controversies regarding their vocals and live-singing, the Japanese subunit of the group is receiving mixed responses.
JYP may be focusing on TWICE’s activities in Japan
Below are some comments from netizens:
- None of TWICE’s Japanese members are strong vocalists, so who will be the main vocal?
- I wonder what concept JYP will choose for this subunit. I had a lot of complaints about JYP, but they did well for Nayeon’s solo, so I have high expectations
- A sexy concept would be excellent for Mina, Sana, and Momo!
- They should add a vocalist into the unit to balance things out
- There’s no strong vocalists in this unit, I can already see the criticisms in the future
- So will they release a Korean or Japanese song? It better has some nice choreography seeing that’s the members strength