Does Karina deserve to join Jisoo and Irene in the lineup of visual members with poor dancing skills?
After the 2021 Mnet Asian Music Awards took place on December 11, discussions about idols’ performances took over online communities. In particular, the opening joint performance of 4th generation idols is one of the highlights at this year’s MAMA. If ITZY’s Yeji, Stray Kids’s Hyunjin, TXT’s Yeonjun,… received plenty of praise, aespa’s Karina came under controversy over her dancing skills that are deemed not on par with her main dancer position.
A post titled “Karina’s shocking dance skills” is attracting many comments on Pann. K-netizens have negative reactions to Karina’s performance, claiming she was completely overshadowed by other representatives of the 4th generation.
According to K-netizens, Karina’s dance moves look heavy, inflexible and unnatural. Her facial expressions also look stiff and unimpressive. It looks like Karina was only memorizing the choreography, without showing any passion or qualities of a natural dancer, the ability to “feel” the music.
Besides showing disappointment in Karina’s dancing skills, netizens also bring up Red Velvet’s Irene and BLACKPINK’s Jisoo and point out a similarity between these 3 female idols: They are all pretty visuals who are not good at dancing.
Fortunately, thanks to their beautiful faces, these female idols still attract the audience every time they perform. Needless to say, even though Karina, Jisoo or Irene weren’t very good at dancing, at least they tried to dance and focused on the performance, not being lazy. That’s also something to be commended for!
- Karina couldn’t dance freely. She also looked very nervous
- She reminds me of Irene. Those who can’t dance.
- To be honest, Karina isn’t a very good dancer, but since she was an amateur before training as a dancer, it’s not too bad overall.
- Karina, Jisoo and Irene. What they all have in common is that they can’t relax while dancing. Irene always crouched on the ground and Karina danced like a penguin.
- At least she still tried to dance. Not lazy like some others.