Even now, BLACKPINK’s performance of Wonder Girls’ “So Hot” is still deemed as one of the most legendary covers of all time.
On December 24th, the 2022 SBS Gayo Daejeon (SBS Song Festival) was held at the Gocheok Sky Dome, boasting various impressive performances of top Kpop artists. In addition, 2022’s leading rookies, including NewJeans, IVE, LE SSERAFIM, and NMIXX, all performed hit songs of their seniors, bringing nostalgia for Kpop fans. As a result of these stages, however, many people can’t help but be reminded of BLACKPINK when they covered a song from Wonder Girls 5 years ago.
Back in 2017, BLACKPINK appeared at SBS Gayo Daejeon as a rookie girl group, and yet has already exuded the presence of superstars. The group also imbued their own colors into their cover of Wonder Girls’ “So Hot”, leading to the public still regarding this stage as a “legendary cover”.
In particular, BLACKPINK’s remix of “So Hot” boasts chic rap lines delivered by Jennie and Lisa. The instrumentals are also rearranged with a “YG trademark sound”, while powerful live vocals deeply impress the audience. Despite the changed choreography not being too strong, BLACKPINK still managed to show off their “girl crush” aura and a strong stage presence with excellent stage expressions.
The stunning stage presence of BLACKPINK despite being rookies
Even now, BLACKPINK’s cover is still considered a standard for many other artists, as they not only embraced the original song’s spirit, but managed to shine on their own terms. At the same time, Jennie went viral with her styling on the stage, eventually gaining the title of “Human Chanel” and the attention of said luxury designer house.
As of December 27th, 2022, BLACKPINK’s cover of “So Hot” has surpassed 84 million views on BLACKPINK’s official channel and 31 million views on SBS’ official channel. On top of this, the audio version of the cover also surpassed the 43 million view mark on YouTube.
Some netizens also pointed out that the rap verse of BLACKPINK in “So Hot” has foretold their future, where they become the “entertainment icon”, who everyone recognized and every one has seen on magazine covers, and the clothes worn by the group became huge trend that are followed by everyone.
Below are some comments from netizens:
- Personally I think BLACKPINK’s “So Hot” cover was the most impressive of them all. That remix was delicious
- The best remix I have heard in my life. Not to mention, BLACKPINK’s live vocals where just chef kiss
- In the end it all boils down to having decent vocals
- It’s simply impossible to dismiss this stage. The rearrangement is perfectly made to show BLACKPINK’s own colors
- I’m sick of watching female idols trying to make pretty expressions while not going all out of their movements… There’s just this lack of energy in most stages nowadays
- The most impressive thing is that BLACKPINK did all these as rookies… This is a legendary cover
- Since this was life, it brings a completely different feeling. Jennie and Lisa’s rap verse drove the crowd insane
- No dancer, no background recordings, just 4 girls with their confidence and stage presence… and yet they completely gobbled up the stage
- This is just on a different league with covers nowadays
- Jennie in this stage felt unreal, there’s just not imperfect, from her expression and delivery to her outfit