Will the fact that the center aespa Karina got fewer lines than her members cause controversies?
After the success of the hit song Next Level, on October 5th, aespa finally made a comeback with “Savage”, the title song of their first mini-album. This song rapidly gained the attention of fans. In particular, KPOP fans’ most-discussed topic, the line distribution, was immediately brought up for gossiping.
There were many changes in the line distribution of Savage compared to Next Level, which was released in May. Specifically, Karina got the most lines in Next Level, followed by Winter, Ning Ning, while the one with the fewest lines is the Japanese member, Giselle. This is understandable because Karina has received the most attention for her visual and stage presence that best suits the concept of Next Level among the 4 members.
However, in Savage, the group’s “fan attractor” is no longer favored when she ranks last in the line distribution. Accordingly, Karina is given just over 43 seconds in Savage. Main rapper Giselle ranks a bit higher than Karina when she gets 46 seconds to show off her impressive rap verses.
Another thing that make many netizens confused is the fact that the group’s main vocalist NingNing, despite her well-appreciated singing skills, doesn’t have the most lines in the group. In Savage, her line distribution ranks lower than the Korean member – Winter.
Last year, during aespa’s comeback with the song “Forever”, Winter also ranked higher than NingNing in the line distribution and overall topped the group in terms of lines.
Despite the position change, in general, the division of lines among the members in Savage is still agreed by many fans. Someone even took advantage of to ‘demand justice’ for the 4 AI members of aespa who did not have any lines in Savage:
- I think that’s relatively fair because Karina and Giselle are rappers.
- I’m also very happy that Giselle is finally noticed. Everyone, aespa is amazing.
- This is definitely the era for Winter and Giselle.
- I think aespa fans should not argue more about the line. Probably half of the members don’t have any lines in Savage. I mean the AI members of the group, just kidding!
- Giselle from the girl who only had 14 seconds in Black Mamba bounced back and got 46 seconds in Savage. I’m so happy for my talented girl.
- I’m glad that Giselle is finally fair about the line with Karina. Karina always gets a lot of screen time, has a center position, and has a dance break.