The fact that BLACKPINK was chosen as one of the promotional advocates for the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) has led to many controversies.
On September 18, YG Entertainment confirmed that BLACKPINK has become the first Asian artist to be selected as an Ambassador for the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The group’s management company shared the following: “BLACKPINK was selected as the Promotion Ambassador after a careful selection process. We deeply understand this and decided to participate with happiness from the bottom of our hearts.’
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a blueprint of 17 major goals to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all by 2030. The Goals address a wide range of global challenges including poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace and justice.
As advocates and promotional ambassadors for the United Nations SDGs, BLACKPINK will help raise awareness of the 17 goals and the importance of achieving them. Previously, the 4 YG girls were also appointed as Goodwill Ambassadors for the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in early 2021.
This information later also became a hot topic on online forums all over the world. However, besides the congratulations, there were also many controversies. One of the controversies can be mentioned the title ‘Advocates’ when many netizens think that it is only at the level of ‘Advocates’, not to the level of being called ‘Ambassadors’ of the United Nations’. However, many people believe that it is still possible to use the phrase ‘Propaganda Ambassador’ for a campaign, but it must be attached specifically ‘Propaganda Ambassador for the United Nations SGDs’, not abbreviated to ‘UN Ambassadors’.
However, for Korean netizens, they don’t care much about the ‘title’, but only debate whether BLACKPINK deserves to be selected by the United Nations. This is also something that the international Kpop fan community is debating. Some Kpop fans think that BLACKPINK is only influential in fashion and music, but for other activities, it is not really enough to be chosen as SGDs Ambassador.
However, Knets do not completely think that BLACKPINK is not worthy, but they think that it is the group’s origin from YG Entertainment that is not suitable. Many Knets argue that YG Entertainment is a company with all kinds of serious scandals such as drug-using, gambling, corruption, prostitution, etc., so they feel it is difficult to understand why the United Nations chose this company’s artist to be an advocate to promote the Development Goals for a better and more sustainable world.
On the contrary, there is also a part of Knet that defends BLACKPINK and thinks that the girls completely deserve the choice from the United Nations. These people claim that because this YG’s girl group is so successful, no matter what they do, they will be scrutinized and criticized, while they are really talented and influential.
Some comments from Knets about BLACKPINK being chosen as the UN’s Propaganda Advocate for SGDs:
- Congratulations BLACKPINK!!!
- An UN Ambassador or just a campaign promoter?!!
- Seems like YG really likes this, they proudly show off their confirmation everywhere?!
- BLACKPINK’s only downside is their agency.
- Ok… UN Ambassador from YG pharmacy ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
- This is so weird.. Their agency is a hotbed for drugs, crime and all kinds of other scandals.
- But honestly, what did BLACKPINK do to get them selected? I think they really have an impact on the fashion world, so being a Brand Ambassador is suitable, but why the UN SDGs Advocate?
- Everyone seems to be going crazy because BLACKPINK is so successful ㅋㅋㅋ The self-doubt is so funny!
- I don’t know if the UN takes into account their company’s background? I know BLACKPINK is not guilty, but working with YG is really weird.
- BLACKPINK is doing really well, no matter what you guys do, they’re UN advocates. The harsh comments are funny haha!
- I know BLACKPINK is very popular, but I think this is a bit weird!
- Something’s a bit weird ㅋㅋ How many idols are there chosen as UN ambassadors? Or is BLACKPINK the only one?
- This is ridiculous. The idol who comes from the YG ‘pharmacy’ is the advocate of the United Nations.
- What? Isn’t this something to congratulate them on? Those who hate BLACKPINK are really ridiculous, but it’s also thanks to you that I know they have become UN ambassadors.