There is an achievement that so far, only male Kpop idols have accomplished.
Holding concerts in large-scale stadiums is a big goal that any Kpop idols wants to achieve. There are some places called “sanctuaries” because so far, only a few idols have the chance to set foot in. In addition to Tokyo Dome (Japan) which is a familiar name for Kpop fans, Jamsil Stadium (Korea) is a truly challenging place for artists.
In the list of artists that have held their own concerts at Jamsil Stadium from the 2000s until now, it is surprising that there has never been a female artist or girl group holding a concert here. The artists that have held concerts at this top stadium are all male Kpop artists, specifically:
- H.O.T (1999, 2001, 2 concerts in 2018),
- Shinhwa (2005)
- god (2001, 2014)
- Cho Yong Pil (2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2 concerts in 2010, 2018)
- TVXQ (2005, 2006)
- Lee Seung Hwan (2007)
- Lee Seung Chul (2010)
- JYJ (2010, 2014)
- Lee Moon Sae (2013)
- Seo Taiji (2014, 2017)
- EXO (2017)
- BTS (2 concerts in 2018, 3 concerts in 2019)
It can be seen that, even female idols or girl groups with the largest number of fans today, such as SNSD, TWICE or IU, have never had their own concert at this famous stadium. In the future, if any female artist holds a concert at Jamsil, they will gain the title of the first female artist in K-pop history to achieve this.
Netizens have made a lot of speculations about the female idol that is capable of making history. Most of the comments mentioned two famous female idols, IU and Taeyeon, saying that the two artists are capable of achieving this:
- I think IU can do it…
- IU, let’s go
- Wow Cho Yong Pil is daebak…
- Even if IU holds a concert there, I don’t think I’ll be able to get a seat
- Let’s go Kim Taeyeon
- Isn’t it Taeyeon? I think she can do it. She has a big fandom and she’s popular with the public too
- IU can do it
- Only Taeyeon and IU can do it
- I think IU will be the first female singer who does it
- I really want to go to IU’s concert. It’s the only concert I want to go even though I’m not a fan…
Jamsil Stadium, also known as Seoul Olympic Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium located in Seoul, South Korea. Currently, the stadium has a capacity of 69,950 people, much more than Tokyo Dome (with a capacity of 55,000 people). For that reason, to be able to perform there is something to be admired and proud of.