JYP’s new girl group – NMIXX has officially joined the Kpop race with the debut title track O.O.
At 6PM KST on February 22, the most anticipated rookie girl group in the first half of 2022 – NMIXX officially made a debut with the MV for the title track O.O. The song is a mixture of two genres, Bailey Funk and Teenage Pop Rock, creating a unique genre called Mixx Pop. The song’s special name refers to the exclamation “Oh!”, which is used when someone is so impressed with something their eyes are wide open.
Through the teasers, JYP confidently promoted NMIXX as an All-Ace girl group (7 vocals, 7 dances, 7 visuals) with the ability to pull off every concept. JYP‘s introduction made netizens set high expectations for NMIXX to continue the success of TWICE and ITZY. However, NMIXX’s long-awaited MV has been gaining mixed reviews.
Specifically, the MV for O.O starts off with cool and eye-catching scenes. 7 members of NMIXX are dressed like female warriors as shown in the previously released teaser photos. Next, the group shows a brighter and more refreshing side in colorful outfits and a lively background filled with plants and flowers. The last part of the MV has a “teen crush” concept and is when the girls show off their difficult and synchronized choreography.
Overall, NMIXX‘s debut MV receives plenty of praise for its visuals, showing how much JYP has invested in the making. Although some netizens complain that JYP seems to cannot get rid of the cheesy and overly colorful effects, what makes viewers most satisfied is how the beautiful visuals of NMIXX members are perfectly shown through the MV.
On the other hand, in contrast to the eye-catching beauty and choreography, the melodies of the song O.O caused an extremely fierce controversy among netizens. Most people think that JYP‘s music now sounds like… SM because it’s too hard to absorb, many overlapping and disjoint high notes. O.O‘s beat is not only rushed but also messy as if many songs are combined, wasting the members’ singing talent. With such a difficult genre of music, netizens are worried that NMIXX will become the first JYP girl group to fail right from their debut.
– Halfway through the song, I thought I was listening to SM music.
– The outfit and visuals are good but the music sounds like 2 songs mixed together, I may need to listen to another 3 times to absorb it.
– The MV is so pretty, it looks like JYP put all their money into the MV this time. Listening to the beat makes me scared like I’m on a roller coaster.
– The first time I heard it, I felt that the tempo of the song changed a lot without the highlight, so it was a bit difficult to absorb. Also, the beat is too intense, just listening to the speaker feels a bit numb, probably I won’t replay it much.
– I can’t absorb the music, the lyrics, or the MV. It’s too messy, the outfit is not good either, and no one’s voices are impressive. The song is generally high with quite a lot of high notes.
– The MV and dance are so good. The music is messy but I’m sure you’ll absorb it if you listen to it a lot.
– I only like the concept of an island in the clouds, the rest are bad. You will fail if you debut with a song like this. I don’t know if it suits Korean people, but it’s not a pass for me.