A netizen created a heated debate on social networks by saying no female Kpop idol is qualified to be a rapper except for the two girls below.
The rapper is a position no less important than the main vocalist or main dancer in Kpop idol groups. However, unlike the other two positions, the person who is in charge of rap parts in an idol group is rarely recognized as a real rapper even though he/she can perform well or rap with the right flow and rhythm.
Compared to the boygroup rappers, this reality is somewhat harsher for female idols. BLACKPINK has Jennie – Lisa while TWICE has Chaeyoung – Dahyun. Ryujin in ITZY and Giselle in aespa are also promoted for the position of the main rapper. Although their groups have achieved a lot of success and gained great reputation, the above idols are still appreciated within the limit of a “rapping idol.” It is difficult for them to be recognized as a real rapper.
The debate became more intense when one netizen posted their opinions about the only 2 KPOP female idols who deserve to be recognized as true rappers. According to this person’s online post, except for (G)I-DLE Soyeon and EXID LE, the rest are all “idols who know how to perform rap”.
(G)I-DLE Soyeon and EXID LE have already been well-known for their excellent rap skills. Before debuting as an idol LE used to be active in a group of underground rappers under the name Elly. Apart from her amazing rap, LE also owns a “badass” vibe that is recognized by professional rappers.
Soyeon is an idol but her rap skills have stood out ever since she competed in “Produce 101”. Moreover, before officially debuting with (G)I-DLE, she even joined “Unpretty Rapstar Season 3” and won 3rd place.
The opinions about Soyeon and LE’s talents mentioned in the topic are obviously true. However, they are not the only idols who can be recognized as true rappers. Many other netizens have also expressed their arguments.
Many people point out that the Kpop music industry has many female rappers with outstanding talents, such as CL (former 2NE1 member), Jessi, Cheetah, Miryo (Brown Eyed Girls), and Jimin (former AOA member). They are all idols, or started out as girl group members. If these talents don’t deserve to be considered rappers, shouldn’t they have been reciting poems and singing trot all along?
- Please stop making wars. Besides Soyeon, Kpop still has many female idols who deserve to be rappers.
- If we distinguish between rappers and “rapping idols”, we can list real male rappers like MC Mong, Simon D, and Leesang. Meanwhile, the female side has Cheetah, Jessi, Giant Pink. The other 2 girls you mentioned are still just idols who hold the position of main rapper.
- AOA Jimin isn’t a rapper?
- Oh so CL, Miryo and Jessi are all reciting poems.
- Can we just get rid of the idea that underground rappers are the best?
- Soyeon was never an underground rapper. Soyeon only participated in Unpretty Rapstar 3!
- What’s about Jessi and CL???