BLACKPINK and Red Velvet are the only two groups where all members are on this list.
One of the most common criteria to determine the popularity of K-pop idols in a given market is search volume on web portals. This also applies in Korea when the online community, in general, has been searching for the names, pictures, or information of many different Kpop idols as a way to show their interest.
From statistical data on online portals, Korean netizens recently shared a list showing which female idols are being searched the most in Korea this year (as of August). Below are the search rankings of Kpop female idols on Korean portals in 2021!
6. Rosé (BLACKPINK)
7. Karina (aespa)
8. Yoona (SNSD)
9. Jisoo (BLACKPINK)
10. Jang Wonyoung (former IZ*ONE member)
13. Sana (TWICE)
14. seulgi (Red Velvet)
15. Kim Minjoo (former IZ*ONE member)
18. Jihyo (TWICE)
19. Kwon Eunbi (former IZ*ONE member)
20. Joy (Red Velvet)
21. Momo (TWICE)
22. Kim Chaewon (former IZ*ONE member)
23. Jo Yuri (former IZ*ONE member)
24. Yeri (Red Velvet)
25. Lisa (BLACKPINK)
26. Ahn Yujin (former IZ*ONE member)
27. Jeongyeon (TWICE)
28. Wendy (Red Velvet)
29. Choi Yena (former IZ*ONE member)
30. Tzuyu (TWICE)
Although many 3rd and 4th generation groups are ruling the roost in the entertainment industry, the celebrities who topped this chart were the idols from the 2nd generation. 2 of the TOP3 were seized by IU and Taeyeon, the two 2nd generation idols who have more than 10 years experience in the entertainment industry. Moreover, IU beat many famous stars to sit on the No.1 of this chart.
Although BLACKPINK and Red Velvet lost the 1st position to their senior, they are the only 2 groups whose all members made it into this chart. In contrast, JYP’s girl groups seem to have disappointed results compared to the groups from SM and YG. The only and the highest rank was earned by Nayeon (TWICE), at No.12.
Some comments by Korean netizens:
– This is a chart that counted only Korean celebrities. It seems that 2nd generation groups still have high brand reputation
– Taeyeon performed on only one music show, but she still charted No.3…
– Wow~ IU… She’s been active in showbiz for more than 10 years but still able to compete with the young idols
– That’s why they call SNSD “God-Soshi”
– Red Velvet, BLACKPINK, TWICE, and IZ*ONE are really the top girl groups
– IZ*ONE already disbanded, but 7 members of the groups still appeared in this chart?