Jang Won Young and Leeseo of IVE faced heavy criticism for lip-syncing while performing IU’s “Strawberry Moon”.
IVE shone at the 2022 SBS Gayo Daejeon, 2022 KBS Gayo Daejeon, and 2022 MBC Gayo Daejejeon, which were held in December of last year. There, the girl group received great love for performing not only IVE’s songs, but also covers of other singers’ hit releases.
In particular, the duo sat on chairs during the stage and sang, flaunting their gorgeous visuals.
However, netizens claimed that Jang Won Young and Leeseo were lip-syncing, even though they did not perform any choreography. Some also pointed out that the lip-syncing was obvious, especially during parts with high pitch.
One netizen even made a direct comparison video, saying that the cover video of “Strawberry Moon”, which was released on IVE’s official YouTube channel in July of last year, and MBC Gayo Daejeon seem to have used the same recording.
When the controversy over the lip-syncing of IVE members was raised, many could not hide their regrets. According to them, lip-syncing is acceptable since IVE is extremely busy amid various year-end schedules, but to do nothing but sit down while lip-syncing was too much.
In particular, there were responses that IVE, who swept the Daesang and Rookie of the Year award several times at the year-end awards ceremony, portrayed a poor image for idols with such action.
Below are some comments from netizens:
- I pity the idols who get hated just because IVE created this image….
- I’d understand lip-syncing when they have to dance, but what is this… They are not even dancing
- I think that lip syncing when sitting down is simply not acceptable…
- They shouldn’t do this kind of performance if they can’t sing live
- What is Starship thinking to let their artists do something like this?
- Shouldn’t these kinds of stages be performed by main vocals?