2nd generation’s girl groups cause Korean netizens to have a “headache” as there were so many big hits.
Over the decades, K-pop singers and idol groups have released many beautiful and eye-catching choreographies, contributing to the success of the song as well as their owners. However, only a few of them actually created a sensation when being covered by fans inside and outside Korea. Of course, to become an “iconographic choreography” representing an entire generation is even more difficult as reality has proven dances that are known and recognized by the public of different ages can be counted on one hand only.
Recently, through a discussion on TheQoo forum, Korean netizens tried to name the top 2 girl group dances through each generation of Kpop idols. The groups whose songs appear on the list are all the top names of their generation, possessing a series of tremendous achievements and influence in various aspects. However, for many reasons, not all of the choreographies mentioned below are absolutely agreed upon by Korean netizens.
S.E.S – “I’m Your Girl” (1997)
Fin.K.L – “Eternal Love” (1999)
Wonder Girls – “Tell Me” (2008)
SNSD – “Gee” (2009)
TWICE – “Cheer Up” (2016)
BLACKPINK – “DDU-DU DDU-DU” (2018)
ITZY – “WANNABE” (2020)
aespa – “Next Level” (2021)
Among the 4 generations of Kpop girl groups, the 2nd generation probably causes netizens to debate the most because it’s difficult to pick only 2 out of many iconic choreographies. There is no denying the popularity of “Tell Me” or “Gee” choreography, but besides these two songs, 2nd generation’s girl groups still have a series of smash hits with popular and memorable dance moves to this day. Some typical examples are “Mister” by KARA, “Nobody” by Wonder Girls, “Abracadabra” by Brown Eyed Girls, “Tell Me Your Wish” by SNSD, “Bo Peep Bo Peep” by T-ara,…
- When it comes to SNSD, doesn’t the crab leg dance in ‘Tell Me Your Wish’ have the most influence..?
- Where’s “Abracadabra”? All I can think of is this choreography ㅋㅋㅋ
- 2nd Gen should be ‘Tell Me’ and the butt-shaking dance in ‘Mister’, no?
- Both of the 2nd generation’s most iconic choreography should be from Wonder Girls, ‘Tell Me’ and ‘Nobody’ used to be massive hits
- That’s why the 2nd gen has a lot of smash hits, in addition to the two songs above, there is still a long list of other songs with equally famous dances. “Mister”, “Nobody”, “Abracadabra”, “Bo Peep Bo Peep”, “Roly Poly”, “Tell Me Your Wish”,… It will take forever to list them all out
- The number of hit choreography of 2nd generation’s groups must be equal to all other generations combined… As for Wonder Girls, any of their songs can be included, especially the national hit trio “Tel-So-No”. SNSD, T-Ara, KARA, Brown Eyed Girls also have so many hits with legendary dances.
- The impact of the 2nd generation groups is so great that it’s difficult to choose only 2 iconic choreographies. But if I had to choose, I would choose ‘Nobody’ and ‘Abracadabra’
- 2nd gen has so many popular songs, it’s hard to choose just 2 most iconic choreographies. Personally, I think of KARA’s butt-shaking dance first
- Picking out the 2 best choreography of the 2nd generation is basically an impossible task ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I’ve already thought of 10 songs with famous dances ㅋㅋㅋ
Meanwhile, for the 3rd and 4th generation girl groups, the appearance of BLACKPINK and ITZY on this list received mixed reactions from Korean netizens. Many comments claim that although “DDU-DU DDU-DU” is a hit song, the popularity of its choreography is not on the same level as “Cheer Up“. Some netizens suggest that if they had to choose another iconic dance of 3rd generation’s girl groups, TWICE‘s “TT” would be more appropriate than “DDU-DU DDU-DU“. As for ITZY, according to many netizens, the shoulder-shaking choreography of “WANNABE” is still not famous enough in Korea to be included on this list when its coverage is not comparable to the “kkuk-kkukie” dance in STAYC‘s “ASAP“.
- ”I’m not very sure about ITZY and BLACKPINK…”
- ”Comparing to ITZY, STAYC’s “kkuk-kkukie” dance is even more viral.”
- ”You are saying “DDU-DU DDU-DU” dance is famous?…”TT’ makes more sense to me.
- “As for Gen 3, “Cheer Up” and “TT” of TWICE are the most viral ones. Gen 4 has just begun so I cannot choose. However, as of right now, I can only accept “Next Level” of aespa.”
- “DDU-DU DDU-DU is obviously a hit, but I don’t think its dance is that viral. Compared to the shooting dance of DDU-DU DDU-DU, I think TT is more viral.”
- “Isn’t it too much to put “WANNABE” on the same level as “Next Level”? Are you looking down on “Next Level”?”
- “WANNABE” and “DDU-DU DDU-DU”? I’m sorry but, even the gen 2 choreos that aren’t even mentioned here can win over those 2.”
- “‘TT’ is so much more famous than ‘DDU-DU DDU-DU’”
- “As a non-fan who doesn’t care much about idols, if we are talking about the representatives of 3rd generation idols, I only think about “TT” and “Cheer Up” of TWICE. You can see how viral they were on entertainment shows, you could see the casts dance to them everywhere.”
- “Where is Red Velvet’s “Red Flavor”? and STAYC’s kkuk-kkukie dance?”
Do you agree with the choices of K-netizens? What’s your top 2 representative girl group dances?