Gaon has revealed the year-end charts for 2021. Which songs and albums recorded the best achievements in Korea last year?
Gaon is a chart that records streams, downloads, sales of albums and songs based on official digital music distribution/charts. Gaon is considered the chart system with the most comprehensive view of the performance of songs and albums in Korea. That’s why at the end of each year, Korean netizens and international K-pop fans look forward to Gaon’s announcement of the summary charts to see if their favorite artists can make it to the top and prove their influence.
Recently, Gaon revealed all the charts summarizing 2021 of both digital and physical sales. Gaon counts all songs and albums that generate data from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021, not necessarily songs and albums released in 2021. So some songs and albums that were released prior to 2021, if they have good long-running performance, will still enter the chart.
Let’s take a look at the TOP 10 of each category.
TOP 10 MOST DOWNLOADED SONGS OF 2021
Ranking evaluations: Total downloads of 2021
- 1st place. My Starry Love – Lim Young Woong
- 2nd place. Love Always Run Away – Lim Young Woong (OST Gentleman & Lady)
- 3rd place. Antidote – Kang Daniel
- 4th place. PARANOIA – Kang Daniel
- 5th place. Butter – BTS
- 6th place. Celebrity – IU
- 7th place. Trust In Me – Lim Young Woong
- 8th place. Rollin’ – Brave Girls
- 9th place. Permission to Dance – BTS
- 10th place. LILAC – IU
TOP 10 MOST STREAMED SONGS OF 2021
Ranking evaluation: Total streams in 2021
- 1st place. Celebrity – IU
- 2nd place. Rollin’ – Brave Girls
- 3rd place. Dynamite – BTS
- 4th place. Next Level – aespa
- 5th place. LILAC – IU
- 6th place. Peaches – Justin Bieber (Feat. Daniel Caesar, Giveon)
- 7th place. Shiny Star (2020) – Kyeongseo
- 8th place. Traffic Light – Lee Mu Jin
- 9th place. Butter – BTS
- 10th place. Foolish Love – MSG Wannabe (M.O.M)
TOP 10 SONGS WITH THE HIGHEST DIGITAL SALES of 2021
Ranking evaluation: Total points from the number of streams, downloads and BGM.
- 1st place. Celebrity – IU: 888,135,191 points
- 2nd place. Rollin’ – Brave Girls: 821,525,830 points
- 3rd place. Dynamite – BTS: 739,835,798 points
- 4th place. LILAC – IU: 701,774,685 points
- 5th place. Next Level – aespa: 694,838,658 points
- 6th place. Peaches – Justin Bieber (Feat. Daniel Caesar, Giveon): 683,556,478 points
- 7th place. Butter – BTS: 629,846,528 points
- 8th place. Traffic Light – Lee Mu Jin: 616,721,997 points
- 9th place. Shiny Star (2020) – Gyeongseo: 616,183,012 points
- 10th place. Foolish Love – MSG Wannabe (M.O.M): 558,981,702 points
TOP 10 BEST SELLING ALBUM OF 2021
Ranking evaluation: Total number of exported albums (in formats like Tape, LP, CD, USB, Kit, etc.) minus the number of returned albums.
- 1st place. Butter – BTS: 2,999,407 copies
- 2nd place. Sticker – NCT 127: 2,427,559 copies
- 3rd place. Hot Sauce – NCT Dream: 2,097,185 copies
- 4th place. Attacca – SEVENTEEN 2,059,073 copies
- 5th place. Universe – NCT: 1,630,715 copies
- 6th place. Your Choice – SEVENTEEN: 1,462,405 copies
- 7th. Don’t Fight The Feeling – EXO: 1,326,189 copies
- 8th. NOEASY – Stray Kids: 1,303,106 copies
- 9th place. DIMENSION: DILEMMA – ENHYPEN: 1,205,949 copies
- 10th place. BE – BTS: 1,049,496 copies
Congratulations to all the artists whose songs and albums have dominated Korean charts in 2021! Whose achievements are you most impressed with? Please share your thoughts.