EXO Sehun criticized for playing a high schooler, a role too young for his age?
Although famous for his handsome and youthful appearance, EXO Sehun is deemed “too old” to play a student by many.
“All That We Loved” is a recent OTT K-drama, which marks the return of the famous EXO Sehun to the small screen. Previously, he caused a sensation by becoming a “scene-stealer” in Song Hye Kyo’s work “Now, We Are Breaking Up”.
In “All That We Loved”, Sehun takes on the role of an 18-year-old high school student. His character, Go Yoo, is hailed as a basketball genius at Hara School. Although not focusing much on studying, Go Yoo’s grades are still high. However, Go Yoo’s life is turned upside down after he donated a kidney to his best friend, Joon Hee. The story gradually becomes engaging, delving into the unique theme of cellular memory, which is the hypothesis that the memory of an organ donor is transferred to the organ recipient.
The theme of “All That We Loved” is relatively interesting, and many viewers even think it deserves to be developed into a miniseries broadcast on television. However, while the script is mostly well-received, the cast receive mixed opinions. In particular, many audiences have taken to Mydramalist, a review and forum platform, to comment on the drama, saying that Sehun is not suitable for his role due to his age. According to these people, Sehun is currently 29 years old, and so looks too mature for an 18-year-old student.
However, it is important to note that in Korea, many actors still play “student roles” even in their 30s. In fact, prior to Sehun, stars such as Song Joong Ki, Kim Tae Ri, and Park Bo Young, among many others, have successfully transformed into students.
As a result, there have been various comments defending Sehon as well, arguing that he is scrutinized about his visual appearance only because he is an idol. On the other hand, many counter that the criticisms are due to Sehun’s huge age gap with his co-stars, who are in their early 20s, making their differences noticeable.
Below are some comments from netizens:
- The moment I saw the stills, I thought that the character’s age was an issue
- No one in the cast looks like a student, especially Oh Sehun.
- Oh Sehun looks at least 25-26 years old in this appearance, so he is more suitable for older role
- Hwang In Yeop was 29 in “18 Again” and 30 in “True Beauty”. Choi Woo Shik was 31 in “Our Beloved Summer”. Why did none of you have any issues then, but are suddenly complaining about Sehun’s real age? You guys have have prejudices against idols
- Isn’t Sehun 9 years older than his acting partner? It is awkward seeing them play same-aged friends
Source: MyDramaList, k14