The Chinese government’s ban has sparked a firestorm of debate on social media, capturing not just Chinese but also Korean netizens’ attention.
With BLACKPINK’s Lisa joining the show as one of the mentors, the Chinese version of the ‘Produce 101’ series, ‘Youth With You,’ has been getting a lot of attention and popularity.
The idol audition program has grown in popularity to the point where it has aired for three seasons and has produced a large number of idols. Unfortunately, the show was canceled just before the finale because the Chinese government banned idol audition shows.
The Chinese government issued a statement stating that all idol competition shows have been banned. As a result, Season 3 of ‘Youth With You’ has ended without broadcast the finale. As a result, the trainees will not be able to make their debut as well.
Korean netizens even were amazed by the sudden discontinuation of the popular idol show and baffled by the government’s ban.
- “China is definitely a communist country”
- “Wow, that’s so sad for the contestants”
- “The power of communism at its best”
- “I don’t like audition programs either but shouldn’t they finish what they started at least?”
- “That’s so sudden, lol”
- “Why are they shutting down the program though?”
- “I’m just speechless at how China works.”