aespa quickly reached the top 4 girl group MVs with the highest views of the year in a short time.
2021 is an exciting year for Kpop girl groups. In addition to the impressive rise of rookies, senior names retain a strong allure. As a result, the race situation of the Kpop girl group is excellent, and the released MVs have received a lot of views. So, who’s leading the Youtube-view race?
20. BEcause – Dreamcatcher: 28.49 million views
19. Chi Mat Ba Ram – Brave Girls: 36.10 million views
18. Stereotype – STAYC: 39.68 million views
17. Kura Kura – TWICE: 41.07 million views
16. ASAP – STAYC: 41.18 million views
15. Dun Dun Dance – OH MY GIRL: 41.8 million views
14. Odd Eye – Dreamcatcher: 42.98 million views
13. Forever – aespa: 45.45 million views
12. PTT (Paint The Town) – LOONA: 46.02 million views
11. Perfect World – TWICE: 46.54 million views
10. First – EVERGLOW: 74.8 million views
9. Queendom – Red Velvet: 79.98 million views
8. HWAA – (G)I-DLE: 86.73 million views
7. Loco – ITZY: 89.19 million views
6. The Feels – TWICE: 101.8 million views
5. After School – Weekly: 107.5 million views
The appearance of Weekly in the Top 5 was probably a big surprise for Kpop fans. Their reputation is far inferior to that of their contemporaries, such as aespa or STAYC, yet they has sục an outstanding achievement. The reason for this is due to a controversy in which the song After School was accused of plagiarism. The chorus of After School is said to be very similar to the melody of Ava Max‘s one-time hit “So Am I.” However, it is because of this controversy that Weekly has received so much attention, and their song has also gone viral on social networks.
4. Savage – aespa: 109 million views
Savage is an excellent successor to Next Level, as it has brought aespa many prestigious achievements. The music video has received 109 million views in just one month since its release. This MV, in particular, broke ITZY‘s record for the fastest Gen 4 girl group MV to reach 100 million views (22 days, 11 hours, and 30 minutes) by hitting this milestone in 17 days, 19 hours, and 30 minutes.
The rapid increase in views of MV Savage is still controversial, however, due to the suspicion of running ads. Many people believe that a newcomer like aespa is still not too well-known on a global scale, and it must be difficult for them to easily reach 100 million views in less than a month like what they have done.
3. Next Level – aespa: 172 million views
Both aespa’s songs released this year get admirable achievements. The hit “Next Level” released in May 2021 earned 172 million views. This is the song that turns aespa into a trending star, leading among the new generation girl groups.
2. Mafia in the Morning – ITZY: 175 million views
When the JYP president’s composition was first released, it was heavily criticized, but ITZY‘s outstanding performance saved the situation. ITZY‘s performances are so captivating that the song’s bad melody is neglected. As a result, Mafia in the Morning made a surprise return to the music charts, becoming one of the year’s most impressive songs.
1. Alcohol-Free – TWICE: 187.2 million views
Despite the strong breakthroughs from Gen 4 groups, TWICE still shows the solid position of the top girl group and holds the No. 1 position in this chart. Alcohol-Free is not a very successful song for TWICE, but thanks to a large fandom and long-standing love from the public, they still get the number of views that is enough to help them “beat” all other competitors this year.