On March 16, Rosé officially launched the hard disk called -R-. Despite being released 5 days after the digital version, the main vocalist of BLACKPINK still set an impressive record.
Specifically, the sales of the -R- album on Hanteo reached 282,674 copies on the first day of release. Thereby, Rosé has officially surpassed IU to become the female solo artist with the highest first-day album sales in Kpop. This is predicted beforehand, because before that the pre-order amount exceeded 500,000 copies – the most for a Korean female solo artist.
Top 5 albums with the highest first-day sales of female Kpop solo artists
1. -R- – Rosé (BLACKPINK): 282,674 copies
2. Love Poem – IU: 125,388 copies
3. Purpose – Taeyeon (SNSD): 96,749 copies
4. Spit It Out – Solar (MAMAMOO): 62,807 copies
5. Dark Side Of The Moon – Moonbyul (MAMAMOO): 59,342 copies
Not only that, compared to the album sales of all Kpop female artists (including solo artists and girl groups), Rosé’s first day sales even surpassed the achievement of TWICE’s two most recent albums. On the first day of the sale, the JYP girl group sold 274,472 copies of the album MORE & MORE (June 2020), the second full album of their career, Eyes Wide Open (October 2020), sold 107,345 copies.
Currently, the number of albums sold by Rosé is only lower than THE ALBUM released by BLACKPINK last October (589,310 copies). This shows that the BLACKPINK members have dominated the album segment compared to Kpop girl groups.
Top 5 albums with the highest first-day sales of female Kpop artists (including solo artists and girl groups)
1. THE ALBUM – BLACKPINK: 589,310 copies
2. -R- – Rosé: 282,674 copies
3. MORE & MORE – TWICE: 274,472 copies
4. One-reeler / Act IV – IZ * ONE: 190,698 copies
5. BLOOM * IZ – IZ * ONE: 183,975 copies