After the news that Red Velvet will be making a comeback in August 2021 was published, Irene is still not welcomed by Korean netizens.
Red Velvet has announced that they will return in August 2021, after a one-year and eight-month hiatus. Notably, after Irene and Seulgi established a unit, Wendy and Joy debuted as soloists, all five members will take part in the upcoming album. However, many people opposed to Irene’s appearance, therefore Red Velvet’s comeback has sparked controversy.
Irene gets hate from Korean netizens after the scandal of insulting an editor. Despite the fact that Red Velvet’s leader had apologised, the public still turned their back on her. Several people have asked her to leave the group in order to protect the reputation of the other members. When she appears with her teammates, like as at SM’s online concert in January, the female idol frequently faces opposition.
Therefore, Irene continues to be criticized when participating in Red Velvet’s upcoming comeback. Besides those who are happy to know that the Red Velvet girls are about to return, some netizens just want to see the appearance of Seulgi, Joy, Wendy, Yeri and demand a boycott of Irene. Someone even stated that they wouldn’t listen to their new song if SM hadn’t kicked Irene out of the group.
Some comments from Knetizens:
- I just want to see Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri ㅜㅜㅜㅜ Irene-ah, please leave the group
- Hul, I’ve been waiting for so long ㅠㅜㅜㅠㅠㅠ I’m looking forward to this album
- Seriously, Chanyeol and Irene, please leave the groupㅋㅋ Every time I watch the group’s music video, I feel very uncomfortable
- Irene is really shamelessㅎㅎ
- Well, I love Red Velvet’s summer songs ㅠㅠㅠㅠ
- I feel sorry for the rest of the members..
- I don’t think I’ll listen to this song
- Finally!!!!!!! A summer without Red Velvet is so empty ㅠㅠ
- I’m looking forward to it, Red Velvet’s summer songs are all my favorites ㅠㅠ
- Just kick Irene out of the group
The last time Red Velvet made a comeback with 5 members was when the group released the album The ReVe Festival Finale (December 12, 2019). Due to Wendy’s accident at the SBS Gayo Daejun festival, they had to temporarily suspend group activities, the members then promoted as subunits and solo singers. As a result, the fact that Red Velvet is reuniting with their entire lineup in the month of their 7th anniversary is meaningful to fans. They will, however, have numerous challenges if Irene continues to be reviled by the public.