Although both groups have earned outstanding achievements, only one group received favorable responses from the majority of Korean netizens.
When mentioning the No.1 KPOP boy group, most KPOP fans would definitely think of the boy group from Big Hit Music – BTS since no opponent could beat both their digital and physical achievements at the moment. While BTS has firmly dominated the No.1 spot, a debate on the 2nd greatest boy group has been heated up on Korean online communities in recent years.
In fact, when asked which boy group, excluding BTS, is performing the best during the past few years, most KPOP fans tend to call out Seventeen and NCT. Especially, in their latest comebacks this year, both Seventeen and NCT sold millions of albums in a very short time. This has once again proved their presence as the most powerful album sellers in KPOP.
However, Korean netizens continued to raise the question wondering, “Seventeen or NCT, which group is truly the “No.2 best KPOP boy group” after BTS?”. After this topic was posted on Nate Pann, 490 people “voted up” for Seventeen, and 319 users chose NCT by pressing the “vote down” icon. As a result, more people seem to recognize Seventeen as the 2nd most successful boy group in KPOP despite netizens just wondering why they couldn’t feel Seventeen’s popularity not long ago.
Explaining the reason for choosing SEVENTEEN over NCT, many netizens affirmed that although both groups easily became million sellers, according to specific data, SEVENTEEN still recorded higher first-week sales than NCT. SEVENTEEN‘s 2 latest albums, “Your Choice” and “Attacca”, ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively on the highest first-week sales chart in 2021, and also ranked 5th and 6th on the chart of highest first-week sales in Hanteo history, all of which are second only to BTS‘ albums. SEVENTEEN is also considered to have a better digital performance and own more hits than NCT, most notably “Very Nice” or “Don’t Wanna Cry”.
Aside from those who pick SEVENTEEN, there are also many netizens who think that NCT is doing better thanks to their massive fandom, especially with the rapid growth in popularity of major units namely NCT 127 and NCT Dream. Moreover, considering the overall sales figures instead of only first-week sales, some Korean netizens believe that NCT is the second best-selling group after BTS.
– “First week sales: SEVENTEEN is higher. Hit songs: SEVENTEEN has more. Digital charts: SEVENTEEN ranks higher. Isn’t the answer obvious?”
– “After BTS is definitely SEVENTEEN”
– “You have to consider the total sales, why only the first week sales. NCT Dream sold more than 2 million copies. When it comes to digital performance, the two groups are similar. NCT is after BTS”
-> “I can prove I’m a fan of another group, but as far as I know, SEVENTEEN does better digitally, right..?”
-> “Similar when…? SEVENTEEN’s digital achievements are much better”
-> “This is old data, right? “Attacca” has already surpassed 2 million copies on Hanteo”
– “At least SEVENTEEN has hit songs like ‘Very Nice’ or ‘Don’t Wanna Cry’. NCT doesn’t have any hits”
– “Whether in terms of digital achievements or first-week sales, SEVENTEEN is more worthy”
– “I’m a girl group fan but at least I know ‘Very Nice’ of SEVENTEEN. I don’t know any of NCT’s songs”
– “But it’s also funny that just yesterday people were complaining about not feeling the success of SEVENTEEN, but here most of them pick SEVENTEEN as the No.2 boy group after BTS”
– “In terms of public recognition, it’s SEVENTEEN, and in terms of fandom power, it’s NCT”
– “If I just look at people around me, I think NCT is doing better… The number of high schoolers who fangirl on NCT is no joke”
– “In terms of digital sales, it must be SEVENTEEN… But NCT is seeing insane fandom growth despite the division between subunits like 127 and Dream. I think SEVENTEEN and NCT are pretty much on par, but right now, SEVENTEEN is doing a bit better.”
If you had to pick only one male group worthy of the position of “Kpop’s 2nd boy group” after BTS, who would you choose between SEVENTEEN and NCT?