There are mixed reactions to the claim that Irene has easily gotten out of her serious attitude scandal.
The attitude scandal of Red Velvet’s broke out nearly a year ago. After a hiatus to self-reflect, the female idol has made a comeback to the entertainment industry through various activities. However, Irene’s appearance in any place can cause negative reactions even when fans repeatedly explain that the leader of Red Velvet has sincerely reflected on her mistake and totally deserves to be supported again.
Recently, a post about Irene caught Korean netizens’ attention when the writer stated that perhaps the female idol has not received enough criticism compared to the severity of her wrong actions. The original poster even affirmed that if other female idols such as BLACKPINK’s Jennie, IZ*ONE’s Jang Wonyoung, aespa’s Karina or Red Velvet’s Yeri, those who often receive hateful comments online, were involved in similar scandals to Irene, perhaps the public’s reaction would have not been so “gentle”.
Although this post has been receiving many agreeing comments, there are also a lot of opposing comments. Not long after, another netizen uploaded a separate post to counter the claim that the public has been too “easy” on Irene after her attitude scandal. This netizen posted a compilation of different screenshots of negative comments aimed at Irene in particular and Red Velvet in general, both before and after Irene’s attitude scandal broke out, to prove the SM’s visual has never stopped becoming a target of online criticism.
The original poster wrote, “These are the comments mocking Red Velvet that were left before the controversy. After her attitude scandal broke out, many people have justified leaving malicious comments and personally attacking her so the number of negative comments must be 3 times more than this. Don’t you have a heart? Just search for Irene’s name, all you will see are people swearing and insulting her. If Irene remains silent for a bit, someone will probably provoke others to start cursing again. I got goosebumps seeing all that. By the way, I’m not even a Red Velvet fan and I don’t like Irene either.”
Agreeing with this post, instead of Irene, some netizens in the comment section have called out 2 male idols that they think are the ones who have not been criticized enough compared to the seriousness of their scandals. The 2 male idols mentioned are Seungri (former Big Bang member) and Chanyeol (EXO). Many comments pointed out that compared to Irene’s attitude scandal, it is clear that Seungri and Chanyeol’s scandals are much more severe. However, in fact, while Irene is repeatedly called out on unrelated topics, both Seungri and Chanyeol are rarely mentioned, and there are even a lot of comments defending them.
- But isn’t the prime example of “being criticized too little for what they did” Seungri…? His scandal already surpassed the limits of the idol world. He committed a crime. But looking at the reality, Irene is still being called out everywhere, while I don’t know since when people have stopped mentioning Seungri ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I don’t mean to say that people need to stop criticizing Irene, but at least if you want to post hateful posts about Irene, you should do the same for Seungri ㅋㅋㅋ The one who netizens are being easy on despite what he did is Seungri ㅋㅋ
- As another group’s fan, I see that Irene has been criticized a lot already, there’s no need to measure the amount of hate she gets
- Even before the scandal, Irene already received a lot of malicious comments because of her body proportions, her hair loss. She was targeted with all kinds of personal attacks. Yet some of you are saying that Irene doesn’t get enough criticism. It’s ridiculous.
- Irene was even dragged into Rozalin’s controversy and cursed at. How could you say she didn’t get scolded enough ㅋㅋ
- Chanyeol slept with 10 girls but he’s still active ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ He’s the one who should be brought up in this topic
- It’s okay to criticize her attitude back then, but why mocking her appearance, body and age? That’s not a criticism but a malicious attack