Amid a member’s bullying controversy, LE SSERAFIM has been accused of plagiarism.
LE SSERAFIM, the first-ever junior girl group of BTS formed through the collaboration of HYBE and Source Music, has been making headlines before their upcoming debut in May due to controversies. While the school bullying rumors of member Kim Garam are still creating a stir, Kim Chaewon’s debut teaser video came under suspicion of plagiarism.
Kim Chaewon will debut as the leader of LE SSERAFIM. In the teaser video, she left an impression with a bob haircut and sexy outfits, showing off a bold and alluring charisma. However, shortly after its release, Chaewon’s video was accused of plagiarising the Ride ’em on down MV by The Rolling Stones, starring American actress Kristen Stewart.
Korean netizens have pointed out many similar details in Kim Chaewon‘s video with the 2016 MV of the legendary British band. From the outfit with the white crop top and sunglasses, the blue lollipop eating scene, the dancing at the gas station scene, to the background music, the resemblance is obvious.
Netizens wonder if LE SSERAFIM was using Ride ‘Em On Down as a reference to pay homage to The Rolling Stones or this video is simply poor-quality plagiarism:
- Similar outfits and concepts but the quality is nowhere near the same
- I don’t think this is plagiarism. But they definitely used Ride ‘Em On Down as a reference, like a way to pay homage. But it does look like a cheap version of the original.
- Kristen looks so effortlessly cool while Kim Chaewon looks forced. Why would the company force her into a sexy concept? She suits a lovely and innocent image like when she was in IZ*ONE.
- It looks like a parody video made for fun.
- The blue lollipop scenes and the gas station scenes are identical.
- This is an obvious reference, yet the quality is so… Especially the dance at the gas station part.
- This is embarrassing
Besides plagiarism accusations, Kim Chaewon’s teasers for LE SSERAFIM’s debut also sparked controversy among Korean netizens over how drastically different she looks compared to her image in IZ*ONE. Many Korean fans have expressed dissatisfaction with how Kim Chaewon was dressed in revealing outfits and posed in a sexy way while she is best known for an innocent and lovely image.
LE SSERAFIM hasn’t officially debuted yet, but the group has already been involved in several controversies. Will they be able to turn the situation around with their talent, charm and quality music in the future? Let’s wait and see.