This article even compares Soojin’s case with the case of AOA and Kwon Mina, but ends up getting extremely negative reactions from Korean netizens.
In August of this year, Cube Entertainment made an official announcement confirming that Soojin would be leaving (G)I-DLE. This is considered a reasonable decision following Soojin‘s school bullying scandal that could severely affect the group’s image, reputation and promotional activities.
The controversy over this incident was expected to end soon due to Soojin’s departure from the group, but a new article published in the Korean media has once again caused netizens to stir up. Specifically, a controversial article by Newsen has asked the public to remain neutral against the allegations against Soojin.
Newsen’s article claimed that Soojin was found guilty of bullying her classmates from the “one-sided” testimonies of former acquaintances as well as actress Seo Shin Ae, while she herself firmly stated that she had never committed school violence. Newsen’s reporter wrote, “Although the police investigation is still underway and no official results have been released yet, the decision to let Soojin leave the group is still made in the belief that there is no further damage to (G)I-DLE’s image and reputation […] Accusations, true or false, can have a huge impact. Shocking accusations will leave a strong impression on the public, along with vague judgments. Even if the truth has not been clarified, instead of keeping a neutral attitude, the public tends to trust and side with the accuser”.
Not stopping there, Newsen’s article even compared Soojin’s scandal with the bullying scandal that occurred between Kwon Mina and AOA – where public opinion simultaneously turned to defend AOA and Jimin even though at first most of the opinions are on Mina’s side. Finally, reporter Newsen closed the article with the comment: “This article is not intended to assert that Soojin is completely innocent or to say that the accuser provided false information. However, before the results of the police investigation are released, we should not continue to make mistakes by pushing someone to the brink of despair just because of one-sided accusations. For now, the most important thing is to keep a cool head to make the fairest judgments.”
The content of Newsen’s article was met with fierce criticism from the Korean public when many pointed out that despite asking the audience to remain neutral, the author of the article was clearly writing a biased post towards Soojin. The existence of this article even made Korean netizens begin to suspect if Cube was trying to clear the way for Soojin to come back after leaving (G)I-DLE.
- “The journalist is Soojin’s friend, right?”
- “What the hell are you saying? She even dares to ask the victim to make an official statement. She’s the one who brought everything down by herself for trying to mess with the victim.”
- “What’s the difference between Soojin’s case and AOA’s case? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
- “Do people really write articles like this?”
- “Is the journalist Soojin’s akgae or something?”
- “Just apologize to Seo Shin Ae and get over it… This is ridiculous”
- “This is crazy ㅋㅋㅋㅋ She wanted to take Seo Shin Aeo down but it backfired so she chose to withdraw”
- “Why don’t you guys write an article like this for the victims?”
- “She basically went up to the victim and said, ‘Hey, have I ever tortured you? Say something”, and the victims said “Yes, you bullied us before” so she withdrew…”
- “Cube, don’t you feel sorry for Seo Shin Ae?”
- “Media play has started again”
- “April did the same thing and Soojin fans are comparing her case with AOA to distract people. Wow….”
- “Cube is paving the way for Soojin to come out as a solo right?”
- “Huh? But journalists aren’t neutral either?”